This township was formed from portions of Butler, Berry,
Cass early in 1855. The first township election was held at the
house of Mr. Heilner, in Monterey, the settlement known now
Mount Pleasant. The township lies in the mountains region
tween the two coal fields and is very sparsely
southern portion is in the southern coal field, and a
extensive business in mining has been carried on at Mount Pleas-
ant, Glen Carbon and near points. Foster is bounded by
Bulter, Cass, Reilly, Frailey and Hegins.
There are only two schools in the
Who first lived within the present township
limits is un-
known. In 1831 widow Levan kept a tavern in an old log house on
the site of Mount Pleasant. This village grew up under the impe-
tus given to the neighborhood by coal operations in the vicinity
by John Graham and others.
The buildings are mostly plain stone structures, and many
of them are unoccupied. There is no church or post-office there.
The principal merchant is Carr Phillips. The traveling public are
more than amply provided for at Mount Pleasant by two
For a time prior to 1871, when the mail was carried from Miners-
ville through Mount Pleasant to Sunbury, there was a post-office
there. Glen Carbon, in the southeast corner of the township,
railway station and post village. It is a small settlement which
grew up in consequence of coal operations there.
Pleasant it is built mostly of stone. Messrs. Crowe & Scott are
leading business men and well-known merchants.
Many of the early workings in the township have
doned. The colliery at Mount Pleasant was some years since vacat-
ed, and purchased by the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron
The Rohersville colliery was opened by Mr. Rohers, of
delphia. He was succeeded by his sons William and James B.
hers, who sunk a slope and built a breaker. They operated
colliery about three years, and were succeeded by
Taylor, who worked the mine seven years. His
Wells & Detwiler. Later a Boston company operated the colliery,
which has for some time been abandoned. East of Rohersville, on
the Reed tract, Mr. Taylor, above mentioned, worked
colliery for a time.
John Stanton opened on the Mammoth vein at Glen Carbon,
drifts. He did a successful business for a time, and was succeed-
ed by William and Thomas Verver, who built a breaker and operated
ten years, mining 20,000 to 30,000 tons annually. Lucas & Denning
leased the colliery and worked it five years, producing
50,000 tons annually. A son of William Richardson, owner of the
land, succeeded them. Business soon suspended at this colliery,
which was idle until it passed into the hands of the Philadelphia
and Reading Coal and Iron Company. This colliery, known as
Richardson colliery, produced 8,301 tons in 1876; 62,238 in 1877;
75,353 in 1878, and 111,229 in 1879.
The Glendower colliery was opened by Thomas
and subsequently sold to the Philadelphia and Reading Coal
Iron Company. In 1876, 24,479 tons were
produced; in 1877,
58,497; in 1878, 56,450; in 1879, 50,698. A very small business
was done at the Anchor colliery by the Philadelphia and Reading
Coal and Iron Company in 1876 and 1877.
Some years ago Joseph F. Taylor sunk a slope on the south dip
of the Mammoth vein, and built a breaker and a saw-mill to supply
the colliery with lumber. He mined about 25,000 tons per
and was succeeded by Thomas Atwood. The Forest Improvement Compa-
ny were later operators. The present owners are the Philadelphia
and Reading Coal and Iron Company.